Saturday, January 05, 2008

Atonement



atone●ment \n\ 1: reparation for an offense 2: act of making amends for a wrong

Pride and Prejudice intrigued me after this movie. Not that Atonement is a sequel of the former, but how Director Joe Wright selected, adopted and translated novels into magnificent films. Pride and Prejudice could definitely possess similar magic because Wright worked with the same team in Atonement, that is wondrously cinematic, original by plot and musical thrill and immaculately faithful to the title's essence (I haven't read McEwan's novel. so, the book-film analysis is far clear in this review).

In either way, the story, artfully supplemented with form, is superbly exceptional. Its one of the rare films that carries an enigmatic spell, leaving you reflecting for days or weeks: What are my mistakes, sins, offenses? What are my acts, responses to correct, amend my mistakes, sins, offenses? What are my.....atonements?

Well, the world is full of recycled atonements and preachy resolutions, but this movie offers you a fresh and inspiring one. It is a film that literally freezes you-thanks to postcard scenes, James McAvoy and Keira Kneightly's powerful strikes of acting (notably, in the library, coffee house) and lucid situationers of war.

I never watch films twice, but this one made me. Atonement will be my spiritual chant to continually do "acts of kindness" along with my and other imperfections?



Watch it before retreats and year-ends.

No comments: