Saturday, March 22, 2008

Courting God


Greta asked about the Jews and the Israelites. I explained briefly their history, from crossing the Red Sea to turnover of Israel after WWII. When I uncertainly concluded, "Jews are Israelites," I realized I dont have a personal relationship with God―I barely know His history. Everyone knows about the history of the people whom they relate with. If not, then they dont have a relationship, unless they are paparazzis or had Googled it. Since studying God's history (His past/origin is another issue) is lengthy, I took a sure cut (shortcut, I mean: personally talk, not chat or blog-comment, to Him.

A talk always starts and keeps a relationship. Well, I barely know God because I rarely talk to Him―or pray, to be more appropriate. So, I decided to “court” God on His earthly death anniversary; not again through travel to Tawi-tawi, bisita iglesia and the Way of the Cross, but at good with Larry King's Powerful Prayers book on flat silence and empty stomach. The odds are I cannot nurse my Mama in the hospital (God, I hope she is okay) and talk with Greta. “I had never spent 1 whole day with God.” I reflected and that consoled of from the uncomfortable decision.

God exists never is a personal issue. He is my Provides. Promise, He never left me; that is why I am so weak with handling problems and relaxed. My blessings are certainly His works because I have never worked on them. But, I think, I rarely thanked Him.
I read, reflected and started talking―este, praying. But I only had a monologue. No instant messages from God, just crickets and frogs. My prayer couldn't be a prayer if it is not a dialogue. So, I prayed more. Then, Papa texted, “...arang-arang na imong mama...” [your Mama is now ok].

God replied!

And it was only then I realized God had been trying to talk and befriend me. I thought His blessings were mere obligatory provisions as a Father and a Provider. God was all the while courting me. I was just stone deaf, so He gave me gifts. Then I thought His gifts were also gimiks to win me. But He continued giving even after I said YES to Him―that is, when I prayed. I still have Greta, a healthier body, a happier family, a fulfilling work for peace, an empowering hobby on lomography and frisbee and a cheerful la familia.

I finally have a personal―better, I guess―relationship with God. And it is official kami na.

No comments: