Monday, September 29, 2008

Feast of St. Michael, The Arcangel

Nef of Iligan, Kidapawan, Cebu team forwarded me a text message of a feast day. It reminded me and decided to celebrate the feast of the angel saint I was named after: St. Michael. Ye! I am Michael, not Pyk. To complete it...I am Michael Patrick. Patrick, being another saint. 

My mother named me after these two saints just before my baptism. She dreamt St. Michael carrying the statue of St. Patrick. 

Thank God! I was named after them. Though my name is bluntly flat and common, I am grateful I am named after it instead of Mark Eugene. Imagine calling me Mark or Eugene or Huge or Gene! EWWWWWWWWW. 


I also take pride in disclosing my real name because it is associated with Sex and The City's producer Michael Patrick King hehehe

I switched to Pyk because it was cool to have a new name as i entered a new phase of my life after college. Pyk is an accidental name! My previous employer misheard my Mike as Pyk during a job interview. Then, ting, i found it fittingly cute that i immediately replied, "yes, mam, it's Pyk!" And so, I was reborn and known in the entire development industry by it. My mom even scolded me for not working after she called my office and found that there was no employee named Michael Patrick. 

Being named after two saints was somehow serendipitous to my previous obsession of becoming a priest. I really felt I would be serving the Church, but I found Greta. Still my current girlfriend, Greta absolutely turned my course and I am so grateful to have such turn. 

I am Michael Patrick. I am not a gun dealer. I am not a priest. I am a peace and development worker. You can call me Michael Patrick and Pyk. Either way, I am at peace with both names.

Happy St. Michael Day and thank you, Ma! 




2 comments:

les condeza said...

because i am based in gensan, hindi ko na inabutan ang thank you girls...
narinig ko na lng sa kaibiga, sa kapatid at sa kapitbahay ko..
1 week lng kasi xa pinalabas, ayt?
saan ko kaya xa mapanood?
or hindi na possible!
thanks.

Anonymous said...

Hello,nice post thanks for sharing?. I just joined and I am going to catch up by reading for a while. I hope I can join in soon.